Help Save Rodeo, Bull Riding & similar events by taking ACTION NOW.
Below are Three easy steps to show your support and STOP the ban.
The Western Sports Industry Coalition is working hard to save our way of life.
The Western Sports Industry Coalition was formed to be a collective voice to present knowledge, experience, and legitimate, objective research to lawmakers to preserve and protect the future of Western sports events and traditions, and to substantiate the industry’s commitment to the welfare of animals.
The Coalition needs your help to fight a proposed ordinance in Los Angeles that will ban rodeo, bull riding and “rodeo-like events” in the area.
If this ordinance is enacted in LA, we will no longer have rodeo, bull riding and various equestrian events in LA. This will cancel the charros rodeo, the all-Black rodeo at STAPLES Center, PBR, PRCA rodeos, Compton Cowboys exhibitions, and even several Olympic equestrian sports. Not only that, but other cities will follow with their own rodeo bans. We can’t overstate how important it is to shut this down NOW to save rodeo, bull riding, and all other western sports that could be construed as “rodeo-like.”
Now is the time for you to be engaged.
There are three things you can do (in order of importance):
Comment on the LA City Council website
Write a letter to a City Councilmember
Sign our petition
We greatly appreciate your support.
FIRST LINK: COMMENT ON THE SITE
The most important thing you can do is to submit respectful comments in support of rodeo and other western sports events directly to the City Council:
Please consider this when you make your comments. First, while the ordinance is upsetting, it’s more effective to be factual in your comments and respectful in your tone. In doing so, free to use these points, but remember that it is important to use your own words where you can:
- The health and safety of the animals in rodeo and bull riding is paramount. Rodeo people make their living by breeding, training and working with the animal athletes, who get the best care. They truly love these animal athletes and have many safeguards in place to ensure their care.
- These are not wild animals forced to compete – they’re bred and trained for their jobs. They are not abused. The flank straps and dull spurs don’t harm the animals.
- Rodeo teaches important values like hard work, charity, respect, responsibility, and honesty. The sport is inclusive and promotes equality. Everyone is welcome. These values are needed now more than ever.
- This ordinance will ban in Los Angeles rodeo, bull riding and various equestrian events– affecting the charros rodeo, the all-Black rodeo at STAPLES Center, PBR, any future PRCA rodeos, Compton Cowboys exhibitions, and even several Olympic equestrian sports.
- This is not just banning sports that bring economic impact to LA but even worse, equestrian events and exhibitions here that change lives. We need to celebrate all cowboys and cowgirls, their strong values, and all the great things they stand for, not prevent them from showcasing their skills in Los Angeles!
SECOND LINK: WRITE A LETTER
1. Copy and paste the attached "LA Supporters Form Letter" into a separate e-mail message. Note: Feel welcome to customize the letter.
2. Add your name and mailing address at the top
3. Add your name at the bottom after "Sincerely,"
4. Subject line should say "Opposition to Motion – Council File 20-1575" (Subject to Change)
5. Send message "To" all the 15 council members below, and "bbc" the Western Justice Link below.